Office of the Attorney General - Department of Law
We are accepting applications for our Legal Secretary applicant pool open to all vacancies within the Department.
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts
If the file is too large to attach please email the document(s) to [email protected] to include the position title - application material(s) in the subject line.
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The Department of Law is organized into the Executive Office, five legal divisions, four specialty units and an operations division.
The primary duties of this position are to provide Legal administrative support for the Deputy as well as section's attorneys. The position manages case files, prepares and mails correspondence, prepares pleadings and documents for filing in various courts, e-files, manages calendaring of court dates and meetings, arranges copying and mailing, responds to and directs citizen and attorney phone calls, works in the CMS system, and performs other administrative functions as assigned.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Typing of correspondence, briefs, pleadings, forms, agreements, and administrative orders from handwritten notes or dictation.
- Files pleadings and other legal documents in court as requested.
- Answers the telephone; responds to calls from clients, attorneys, and citizens; and provides general information or transfers calls as appropriate.
- Prepares, copies, and faxes or mails a variety of legal documents and correspondence.
- Dockets pleadings and distributes mail for the division
- Prepares and types control slips on new cases and distributes cases as requested.
- Maintains files for the division; maintains records on the assignments of cases.
- Maintains records of leave balances for division personnel; enters time worked for all personnel to the computer.
- Maintains updated legal references for the division personnel.
- Maintains travel arrangements for division personnel.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of office supplies.
- Attends division and departmental meetings as required.
- Closes files and coordinates the removal of closed files.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
- One year legal secretary experience
- Two years general secretary experience.
- Strong typing skills.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below:
- One or more years of legal secretary experience
- Transcription skills.
Qualified candidates will be asked via email to take skills assessment test.
Applicants will be contacted via email with a date and time.
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates; employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of the background investigation. Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. Please log into your account for status updates. All applicants will be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position and may not necessarily receive an interview. Only applicants selected for an interview will receive notification.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE.
This is a Continuous Recruitment Posting and can be closed at anytime.