Assistant Attorney General- Tax
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The Department of Law is organized into the Executive Office, five legal divisions, four specialty units and an operations division. The position filled through this announcement will serve in the Tax section of our Commercial Transactions & Litigation Division.
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL external applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Answer all prescreening questions
- If the file is too large to attach please email the document(s) to [email protected] to include the position title - application material(s) in the subject line
Attorneys in this section represent the Georgia Dept. of Revenue and advise on the proper interpretation of tax statutes, handle tax litigation; including sales tax, income tax, property tax and handles appeals before State and Federal courts.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Litigates cases:
- Participates in hearings and appears in state and federal courts to try cases and argue motions and appeals;
- Researches and prepares pleadings, motions and briefs;
- Attends depositions; interviews witnesses and hires expert witnesses;
- Participates in settlement negotiations;
- Prepares pleadings and discovery responses.
- Provides legal advice and/or representation to clients/agencies; drafts memoranda of advice.
- Conducts research on pertinent legal issues; keeps abreast of recent legal developments.
- Drafts formal opinions in response to legal questions.
- Attends client, board, departmental, and division meetings as required.
- Attends continuing legal education seminars as required; makes presentations at same
- Travel, as required by the position
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below:
- Juris Doctorate and GA Bar required
- Some tax experience preferred but not required
- Litigation experience preferred.
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates; employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of the background investigation. Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All applicants will be considered, but may be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive an interview. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification.