ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A REWARDING CAREER?
Office of the Attorney General
Department of Law
Assistant Attorney General - Labor and Employment
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The Department of Law is organized into the Executive Office, five legal divisions, four specialty units and an operations division. The position filled through this announcement will serve in the Education, Elections, Government Services, and Judiciary section of our Government Services & Employment Division.
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL External applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts
- Answer all prescreening questions
- If a file is too large to attach please email the document(s) to [email protected] to include the position title - application material(s) in the subject line
Duties of an attorney in this section include, but are not limited to: defending state agencies, public colleges and universities and state officers/employees in employment discrimination lawsuits in state and federal court; providing general representation to assigned clients including the Georgia Department of Labor, the state’s public retirement systems, the State Personnel Board and the Veterans Services Board. Travel is occasionally required for this position. Teleworking is available.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Appears in state and federal courts to try cases and argue motions and appeals;
- Conducts legal research and keeps abreast of recent legal developments;
- Prepares pleadings, motions and briefs;
- Prepares discovery requests and responses, including e-discovery;
- Takes and defends depositions;
- Provides general legal advice and/or representation to clients/agencies;
- May be called upon to present training material on relevant subject matter to client agencies;
- Attends continuing legal education seminars as required;
- Travel, as required by the position (typically travel is limited);
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
· Member of the Georgia Bar and in good standing.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below:
·One (1) year of general litigation experience..
*We will consider applicants who reside outside of metro-Atlanta and want to work a hybrid schedule.
Employment is contingent upon completion and satisfactory results of a criminal background check. Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver to background check, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter, and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All applicants will be considered, but may be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive an interview. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE.
Position posted until filled.