Assistant Attorney General - Gang Prosecution
Georgia Department of Law
Assistant Attorney General
Division 9 - Prosecution
Salary Range: Min. $65,000.00 - $135,000.00 Commensurate with experience
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL External applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Answer all prescreening questions
- If the file is too large to attach please email the document(s) to [email protected] to include the position title - application material(s) in the subject line
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General.
The position filled through this announcement will serve in the Gang Prosecution section of our Prosecution Division. This section is responsible for persecution of serious gang crimes across the State from investigation through trial.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
This Assistant Attorney General will have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
- Prosecute serious gang crimes across the State from investigation through trial. This includes, but is not limited to, directing investigations, drafting indictments, filing and litigating motions, examining witnesses, and sitting as lead counsel at trial.
- Partner with state agencies, local and federal prosecutors, and law enforcement on gang investigations, identifying gang members, and prosecuting gang crimes.
- Collaborate with investigator and analyst during case investigations
- Review and coordinate search warrants, arrest warrants, and subpoenas for records.
- Work with the Human Trafficking Section and White Collar Crime Section on cases involving overlapping elements.
- Interact with all levels of state and local government in a way that promotes respect, encourages cooperation, and contributes to excellent performance.
- Maintains relationships and liaisons with other agencies, departments, and the public according to Unit requirements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar in good standing.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below:
- Five (5) or more years of litigation or prosecution experience, OR
- Experience in gang related prosecution
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates; employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of the background investigation. Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All applicants will be considered, but may be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive an interview.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
Position will remain open until filled.