Assistant Attorney General - Continuous Recruitment
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A REWARDING CAREER?
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL External applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Answer all prescreening questions
- If the file is too large to attach please email the document(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org to include the position title - application material(s) in the subject line
We are accepting applications for our attorney applicant pool open to all vacancies within the Department. All qualified candidates will remain active in the pool for 6 months. If you'd like to remain active in the pool after 6 months of applying please notify us via email at email@example.com.
For a complete description of our legal divisions please view a brief description of each office by clicking on the “Organization of the Office” link: https://law.georgia.gov/organization-office
- Regulated Industries and Professions
- Commercial Transactions and Litigation
- Criminal Justice
- General Litigation
- Government Services & Employment
- Medicaid Fraud
- Consumer Protection
- Solicitor General’s Unit
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The Department of Law is organized into the Executive Office, five legal divisions, four specialty units and an operations division.
Duties include serving as the attorney and legal advisor for state agencies, departments, authorities and the Governor; specific duties depend on the Division.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- participates in hearings and appears in administrative hearings, state and federal courts to try cases and argue motions and appeals;
- researches and prepares pleadings, motions and briefs;
- participates in settlement negotiations;
- prepares pleadings and discovery responses.
- Provides legal advice and/or representation to clients/agencies; drafts memoranda of advice.
- Conducts research on pertinent legal issues; keeps abreast of recent legal developments.
- Drafts formal opinions in response to legal questions.
- Responds to inquiries from citizens, legislators, and judges.
- Attends client, board, departmental, and division meetings as required.
- Attends continuing legal education seminars as required; makes presentations at same
- Travel, as required by the position
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below:
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team is a plus.
Remember; All qualified candidates will be held in the Applicant Pool and considered for future vacancies within the Department for 6 months.
Those applicants who are contacted for an interview will be asked to complete a Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) Waiver, which may be found at: http://law.ga.gov/application-forms
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates; employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of the background investigation. Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All applicants will be considered, but may be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive an interview. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE AND BAR YEAR