The Office of The Attorney General
Department of Law
Assistant Attorney General - Consumer Protection Division
Salary - Minimum $65,000/Year Commensurate with Experience
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL External applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Answer all prescreening questions
- If the file is too large to attach please email the document(s) to [email protected] to include the position title - application material(s) in the subject line
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The position filled through this announcement will serve in Consumer Protection Division.
Job Title: Assistant Attorney General
Attorneys in this Division represent the State of Georgia in the enforcement of laws and regulations to protect Georgia consumers and legitimate businesses from unfair and deceptive commercial practices. The Division addresses some of the most pressing issues affecting Georgians, including exploitation of the elderly and disabled, sales of unproven medical treatments, misleading advertising, unlawful debt collection, data breaches, and the opioid crisis. The Consumer Protection Division’s efforts can result in restitution to consumers, payments to the State in the form of civil penalties, and injunctive terms to establish business practices moving forward that comply with applicable laws. The Division helps achieve the goal of having businesses compete fairly and operate on a level playing field.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- collaborate with civil investigators to investigate business practices, interview consumers and evaluate their complaints, issue civil investigative demands and subpoenas, take testimony, and attempt to negotiate appropriate resolutions.
- litigate to enforce consumer protection laws either by initiating administrative proceedings or by filing complaints in state or federal court.
- perform a wide range of investigations in partnership with their counterparts in other State Attorneys General Offices and federal agencies.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar in good standing.
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates; employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of the background investigation. Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All applicants will be considered, but may be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive an interview.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE AND BAR YEAR
Position will remain open until filled.