*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Answer all prescreening questions
- If the file is too large to attach please email the document(s) to [email protected] to include the position title - application material(s) in the subject line
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The position filled through this announcement will serve in the Business and Finances section of our Commercial Transactions & Litigation Division.
Serves as attorney in complex litigation involving the business, financial, and property interests of state government., including bankruptcy. Attorney will be responsible for general business litigation, including breach of contract actions, state procurements, and Georgia Lottery Prize denials. Attorney will draft and review contracts, conduct discovery, negotiate settlements and handle mediations. Attorney will be responsible for general representation of the Georgia Lottery Corporation, the Department of Administrative Services, the Department of Community Affairs, the State Auditor, and various State authorities. Attorney will also represent the state in Chapter 7, 11, 12, and 13 bankruptcies across the state and occasionally out of state or multistate. Travel may be required in this position.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Litigates cases:
- Appears in state and federal courts to try cases and argue motions and appeals;
- Researches and prepares pleadings, motions and briefs;
- Works with expert witnesses;
- Participates in settlement negotiations;
- Prepares discovery requests and responses.
- Provides legal advice and/or representation to clients/agencies; drafts memoranda of advice.
- Conducts research on pertinent legal issues; keeps abreast of recent legal developments.
- Participates in multistate working groups.
- Reviews sign-on opportunities for letters, comments and briefs.
- Drafts formal opinions in response to legal questions.
- Responds to inquiries from citizens, legislators, and judges.
- Attends continuing legal education seminars as required; makes presentations at same
- Travel, as required by the position (typically not much travel is required)
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below:
- Experience in Chapter 7, 11, and 13 Bankruptcy proceedings
- Litigation experience or interest
- Strong research and writing skills
- Attorney should be able to assume primary responsibility for matters and to work independently.
Employment is contingent upon completion and satisfactory results of a criminal background check.
Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver to background check, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter, and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All applicants will be considered, but may be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive an interview.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE.
Position posted until filled.