Assist Attorney General- Civil Rights
Job Posting: Oct 2, 2019
Closing Date: Oct 16, 2019
Primary Location: GA-Fulton-Atlanta
Number of Openings: 1
Advertised Salary : $60,000.00 MINIMUM Annual
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts
- Answer all prescreening questions
Duties of an attorney in this section include, but are not limited to: representing state officers and employees who are sued for damages in their individual and official capacities. Travel is required in this position.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Litigates cases:
- Participates in administrative hearings and appears in state and federal courts to try cases and argue motions and appeals;
- Researches and prepares pleadings, motions and briefs;
- Works with expert witnesses;
- Participates in settlement negotiations;
- Prepares discovery requests and responses.
- Provides legal advice and/or representation to clients/agencies; drafts memoranda of advice.
- Conducts research on pertinent legal issues; keeps abreast of recent legal developments.
- Participates in multistate working groups.
- Reviews sign-on opportunities for letters, comments and briefs.
- Drafts formal opinions in response to legal questions.
- Responds to inquiries from citizens, legislators, and judges.
- Attends client, board, departmental, and division meetings as required.
- Attends continuing legal education seminars as required; makes presentations at same
- Travel, as required by the position (typically not much travel is required)
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below:
- 1-3 years of litigation experience