Paralegal - Labor & Employment Section
Are you looking for a rewarding career with the State of Georgia?
Well look no further! To move forward in the recruiting process ALL applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach copies of official undergraduate/graduate transcripts (unofficial will suffice until official transcripts are received)
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The Department of Law is organized into the Executive Office, five legal divisions, four specialty units and an operations division. The position filled through this announcement will serve within the Labor & Employment section in our Government Services & Employment Division.
Provides administrative, transactional, litigation and research support to attorneys.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- General litigation support as directed to include:
- Discovery support,
- Drafting discovery responses,
- Liaison between office and agency clients to collect, review, and organize discovery documents for production and use by attorneys, including electronic discovery.
- Secondary duties include drafting subpoenas and trial preparation as directed.
- Researches and drafts legal documents; prepares discovery pleadings, prepares answers to pleadings, prepares case/research binders.
- May pull court documents from dockets; files legal documents and court papers with various courts and on-line court systems.
- Serves as communication liaison between the division and respondents, attorneys, courts and clients.
- Prepares cases for hearings by organizing files, interviewing and subpoenaing witnesses, and preparing evidence exhibits.
- May perform legal research, including analyzing rules, regulations, case law, and statutory law.
- Maintains records on the status and deadlines associated with division cases; track case status.
- May attend and assist attorney with hearings and client meetings.
- May maintain library resources for the division.
- Responds to inquiries received from clients and the general public.
- Attends division and departmental meetings as required.
- May coordinate the payment process for outside attorney services utilized by the division.
- May provide guidance or training to less experienced paralegals or other staff.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They do not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
A paralegal certificate, diploma or degree, OR An associate’s degree (non-paralegal) and 1 year of paralegal experience, OR Three (3) years of documented paralegal experience; AND the ability to type, exhibits high level of attention to detail, strong communication skills.
Applicants will be asked to provide copies of college or coursework transcripts.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below:
- Knowledge of electronic discovery processes and familiarity with e-discovery platform Relativity.
- Ability to work ahead and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to work efficiently under tight time constraints.
- Responsible for organizing team building activities.
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates; employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of the background investigation. Candidates strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All applicants are considered and may be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive an interview. Applicants not selected for an interview will not receive notification.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE.