Legal Secretary - Continuous Recruitment ONLY
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A REWARDING CAREER?
We are accepting applications for our Legal Secretary applicant pool open to all vacancies within the Department.
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL External applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach copies of official undergraduate/graduate transcripts
THIS announcement is for the general recruitment purposes ONLY. Applicants will be considered for Department vacancies. Typical duties include but are not limited to the following: Provides administrative and legal secretarial support to several attorneys. Types correspondence, briefs, pleadings, forms, agreements, and administrative orders from handwritten notes or dictation; files pleadings and other legal documents in court as requested; answers the telephone; responds to calls from clients, attorneys and citizens; and provides general information or transfers calls as appropriate; prepares, copies, and faxes or mails a variety of legal documents and correspondence; dockets pleadings and distributes cases as requested; maintains files for the section; maintains records on the assignments of cases; maintains records of leave balances for division personnel; enters time worked for all personnel to the computer; maintains and updates legal references for the division; makes travel arrangements for section personnel; maintains adequate inventory of office supplies; closes files and coordinates the removal of closed files; performs other duties as assigned.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Typing of correspondence, briefs, pleadings, forms, agreements, and administrative orders from handwritten notes or dictation.
- Files pleadings and other legal documents in court as requested.
- Answers the telephone; responds to calls from clients, attorneys, and citizens; and provides general information or transfers calls as appropriate.
- Prepares, copies, and faxes or mails a variety of legal documents and correspondence.
- Dockets pleadings and distributes mail for the division
- Prepares and types control slips on new cases and distributes cases as requested.
- Maintains files for the division; maintains records on the assignments of cases.
- Maintains records of leave balances for division personnel; enters time worked for all personnel to the computer.
- Maintains updated legal references for the division personnel.
- Maintains travel arrangements for division personnel.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of office supplies.
- Attends division and departmental meetings as required.
- Closes files and coordinates the removal of closed files.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They do not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Minimum qualifications: One year legal secretary experience OR two years general secretary experience. Strong typing skills.
One or more years of legal secretary experience; transcription skills.
Qualified candidates will be asked via email to take skills assessment test. Applicants will be contacted via email with a date and time.
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates; employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of the background investigation. Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. Please log into your account for status updates. All applicants will be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position and may not necessarily receive an interview. Only applicants selected for an interview will receive notification.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE: $34,000 minimum Annual