*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts
- If the file is too large to attach please email the document(s) to [email protected] to include the position title - application material(s) in the subject line.
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The position filled through this announcement will serve in the Consumer Protection Division (CPD).
The Consumer Protection Division represents the State of Georgia in the enforcement of laws and regulations to protect Georgia consumers and legitimate businesses from unfair and deceptive commercial practices. The Division addresses some of the most pressing issues affecting Georgians, including exploitation of the elderly and disabled, sales of unproven medical treatments, misleading advertising, unlawful debt collection, data breaches, and the opioid crisis. Legal administrative assistants will provide administrative and legal secretarial support to attorneys and staff.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Types correspondence, briefs, pleadings, forms, agreements, and administrative orders from handwritten notes or dictation.
- Files pleadings and other legal documents in court as requested.
- Answers the telephone; responds to calls from clients, attorneys, and citizens; and provides general information or transfers calls as appropriate.
- Prepares, copies, and faxes or mails a variety of legal documents and correspondence.
- Dockets pleadings and distributes mail for the division
- Prepares and types control slips on new cases and distributes cases as requested.
- Maintains files for the division; maintains records on the assignments of cases.
- Maintains records of leave balances for division personnel; enters time worked for all personnel to the computer.
- Maintains updated legal references for the division personnel.
- Maintains travel arrangements for division personnel.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of office supplies.
- Attends division and departmental meetings as required.
- Closes files and coordinates the removal of closed files.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
- One-year legal secretary experience
- Two years general secretary experience
- Strong typing skills.
Preference will be given to those who have one or more of the following:
- One or more years of legal secretary experience; transcription skills
Screened applicants will be asked to complete a series of skills assessment tests which may include spelling, grammar, proofing, filing, data entry and/or Word. Persons may be contacted via email and sent tests via email.
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates; employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of the background investigation. Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. Please log into your account for status updates. All applicants will be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position and may not necessarily receive an interview.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE.