Deputy Attorney General - Prosecution Division
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted for application process)
- Answer all prescreening questions
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The position filled through this announcement will serve as the Deputy over the Prosecution Division.
The Deputy directs and supervises the Prosecution Division, which includes a staff of prosecutors, investigators and related staff. The division primarily handles investigations and prosecutions of white-collar and government corruption crimes against the State and human trafficking crimes on a statewide basis.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs and supervises all activities of the division;
- Supervises and assists with the handling of all aspects of cases from investigation to trial;
- Supervises the personnel function of the division, including recruitment and training of personnel, evaluation of work of personnel, monitoring leave balances, and recommending personnel decisions;
- Informs the Attorney General, Chief Deputy Attorney General, and Chief of Staff of significant legal and policy matters handled by the division;
- Prepares legal reports on division activities;
- Informs the Chief of Staff, Chief Deputy, and Operations Division of operational, resource, and equipment needs within the division;
- Attends departmental and division meetings as required;
- Handles special projects as required by the Attorney General, Chief Deputy Attorney General, and Chief of Staff;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees with this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Member in good-standing with the State Bar of Georgia and a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in prosecutions or a related area of law specific to the Division; determined by the Attorney General.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below:
- Extensive trial experience;
- Five (5) or more years of supervisory and executive level management experience;
- Seven (7) or more years of prosecution experience.
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates; employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of the background investigation. Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All applicants will be considered, but may be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive an interview. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification.