Assistant Attorney General - RPI
Division: Regulated Public Interests
Location: Atlanta, GA
Job Openings: 1
Job Opening Date: 05/03/2019
Job Closing Date: 05/18/2019
Advertised Salary : $60,000.00 MINIMUM Annual
*For consideration applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Answer all prescreening questions
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts
Attorneys in this Section provide legal advice and representation to the Insurance Commissioner, the Comptroller General, the Industrial Loan Commissioner, the Fire Marshall, the State Board of Workers’ Compensation, the Subsequent Injury Trust Fund, the Trauma Care Network Commission, the Commission on Equal Opportunity, the Division of Health Planning of the Department of Community Health, the Public Service Commission, the Commission on Women, the Human Relations Commission and the Secretary of State in selected areas. In addition, attorneys work on the tobacco settlement agreement, mortgage settlement agreement, antitrust, data breach, Class Action Fairness Act matters, payday lending and other issues as assigned.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in administrative hearings and appears in state and federal courts to try cases and argue motions and appeals;
- Researches and prepares pleadings, motions and briefs;
- Attends depositions; works with expert witnesses;
- Participates in settlement negotiations;
- Prepares discovery requests and responses.
- Provides legal advice and/or representation to clients/agencies; drafts memoranda of advice.
- Conducts research on pertinent legal issues; keeps abreast of recent legal developments.
- Participates in multistate working groups.
- Reviews sign-on opportunities for letters, comments and briefs.
- Drafts formal opinions in response to legal questions.
- Responds to inquires from citizens, legislators, and judges.
- Attends client, board, departmental, and division meetings as required.
- Attends continuing legal education seminars as required; makes presentations at same
- Travel, as required by the position (typically not much travel is required)
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar
How to Apply
Please visit the following link to apply: https://ga.taleo.net/careersection/ga_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=LEG00R…
All qualified candidates will be held in the Applicant Pool and considered for future vacancies within the Department.
A criminal background check is completed on all candidates; employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of the background investigation. Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will also be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All applicants will be considered, but may be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive an interview. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification. SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE. Position posted until filled.
Preferred Qualifications - External:
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below:
Experience in a specific area of practice