Assist Attorney General - Regulated Public Interest
Division: Regulated Industries and Profession
Section: Regulated Public Interest
Job Posting: Sep 27, 2019
Closing Date: Oct 11, 2019
Primary Location: GA-Fulton-Atlanta
Number of Openings: 1
Advertised Salary : $60,000.00 MINIMUM Annual
Attorneys in this Section provide legal advice and representation to the Insurance Commissioner, the Comptroller General, the Industrial Loan Commissioner, the Fire Marshall, the State Board of Workers’ Compensation, the Subsequent Injury Trust Fund, the Trauma Care Network Commission, the Commission on Equal Opportunity, the Division of Health Planning of the Department of Community Health, the Public Service Commission, the Commission on Women, the Human Relations Commission and the Secretary of State in selected areas. In addition, attorneys work on the tobacco settlement agreement, mortgage settlement agreement, antitrust, data breach, Class Action Fairness Act matters, payday lending and other issues as assigned.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Litigates cases:
- Participates in administrative hearings and appears in state and federal courts to try cases and argue motions and appeals;
- Researches and prepares pleadings, motions and briefs;
- Works with expert witnesses;
- Participates in settlement negotiations;
- Prepares discovery requests and responses.
- Provides legal advice and/or representation to clients/agencies; drafts memoranda of advice.
- Conducts research on pertinent legal issues; keeps abreast of recent legal developments.
- Participates in multistate working groups.
- Reviews sign-on opportunities for letters, comments and briefs.
- Drafts formal opinions in response to legal questions.
- Responds to inquiries from citizens, legislators, and judges.
- Attends client, board, departmental, and division meetings as required.
- Attends continuing legal education seminars as required; makes presentations at same
- Travel, as required by the position (typically not much travel is required)
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar