Assist Attorney General- PS
Job Posting: Jun 20, 2019
Closing Date: Ongoing
Primary Location: GA-Fulton-Atlanta
Number of Openings: 1
Advertised Salary : $60,000.00 MINIMUM Annual
*For consideration applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Answer all prescreening questions
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts (if available)
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts (if available)
The primary duties of this position include general representation of public safety agencies such as the Department of Corrections, GBI, Board of Pardons and Paroles and the Department of Driver Services. Attorneys in this section assist the various agencies and also appear in both state and federal court on actions such as mandamus, declaratory judgment and requests for injunctive relief. Also included are administrative cases before OSAH. Public Safety Lawyers have an interesting mix of state and federal litigation and appellate practice. The ideal candidate will have experience and a level of comfort in the courtroom, civil practice experience and good communication and writing skills.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Litigates cases:
- Participates in administrative hearings and appears in state and federal courts to try cases and argue motions and appeals;
- Researches and prepares pleadings, motions and briefs;
- Attends depositions; works with expert witnesses;
- Participates in settlement negotiations;
- Prepares discovery requests and responses.
- Provides legal advice and/or representation to clients/agencies; drafts memoranda of advice.
- Conducts research on pertinent legal issues; keeps abreast of recent legal developments.
- Participates in multistate working groups.
- Reviews sign-on opportunities for letters, comments and briefs.
- Drafts formal opinions in response to legal questions.
- Responds to inquires from citizens, legislators, and judges.
- Attends client, board, departmental, and division meetings as required.
- Attends continuing legal education seminars as required; makes presentations at same
- Travel, as required by the position (typically not much travel is required)
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar