Assist Attorney General- HSS
Job Posting: Oct 18, 2019
Closing Date: Nov 1, 2019
Primary Location: GA-Fulton-Atlanta
Number of Openings: 1
Advertised Salary : $60,000.00 MINIMUM Annual
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The Department of Law is organized into the Executive Office, five legal divisions, four specialty units and an operations division. The position filled through this announcement will serve in the Health and Social Services section of our Government Services & Employment Division.
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL External applicants are required to:
- Attach a current Resume
- Cover Letter
- Attach "Department of Law Employment Application" (click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
- Attach two (2) writing samples
- Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts
- Attach copies of official law school transcripts
- Answer all prescreening questions
Attorneys in this section provide advice and representation to all of Georgia’s health and social services agencies, including the Department of Human Services, the Department of Community Health, the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities, the Department of Public Health, the Department of Early Care and Learning, the Office of Child Advocate, and the Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Agency.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Litigates cases:
- Participates in hearings and appears in state and federal courts to try cases and argue motions and appeals;
- Researches and prepares pleadings, motions and briefs;
- Attends depositions; interviews witnesses and hires expert witnesses;
- Participates in settlement negotiations;
- Prepares pleadings and discovery responses.
- Provides legal advice and/or representation to clients/agencies; drafts memoranda of advice.
- Conducts research on pertinent legal issues; keeps abreast of recent legal developments.
- Drafts formal opinions in response to legal questions.
- Attends client, board, departmental, and division meetings as required.
- Attends continuing legal education seminars as required; may make presentations at same
- Travel, as required by the position
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this title. They may not include all job duties performed by employees on this job title, and every position does not necessarily require these duties.
Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar